Build your career with us!
Our people are committed, driven, creative and engaged with a collaborative spirit and desire for excellence. We offer a dynamic team environment, one with exciting challenges, growth potential and true camaraderie, as well as competitive remuneration & benefits and continued educational support.
If you’re interested in a career with Conwest, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com , including the name of the position you’re applying for on the subject line.
- Manage key field and professional staff responsible for project construction, including all scheduling.
- Confer with project personnel to provide technical advice and to resolve problems.
- Mentor Foremen and field staff as required to both maintain the quality of Conwest’s work and to contribute to their development and career growth.
- Ensure Foreman/Grade Person have a complete understanding of project scope and methodology.
- Direct and coordinate activities of field personnel to ensure project progresses on schedule and within a prescribed budget and adheres to environmental restrictions and requirements.
- Manage and maintain strong working relationships with project partners and stakeholders.
- Allocate resources where appropriate to achieve project safety, schedule, budget, scope, and quality objectives.
- Read and interpret drawings and blueprints to determine construction plan with input from Foremen.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in civil construction including earthworks and underground utilities with at least 5 years’ experience in an upper management supervisory capacity.
- Must possess excellent communication skills, both verbal and written with superior interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Experienced with Timberline, Bluebeam, Agtek, Microsoft Project, Adobe, and all Microsoft Office programs.
- Must be a proficient scheduler and planner.
- A proven track record of successful project completions or portfolio.
- Pre-locate existing utilities and work with heavy equipment to ensure that existing utilities are exposed without contact.
- Installation of underground utilities to designed grades and applicable construction standards including storm, water and sewer mains, Hydro, Telus, and Shaw ducting, and all other services.
- Utilize certified shoring methods to provide a safe excavation for entry.
- Set up pipe laser and work with Grade Person to establish proper design grade.
- Organize all tools and equipment required for the job at the beginning of the shift, maintain and organize throughout the shift, and ensure all tools are properly stored/secured at end of shift.
- Digging with excavator to ensure trench grade, bedding depths, and backfill are installed correctly.
- Lay pipe to design grade ensuring proper tamping of pipe.
- Bolt up mechanically restrained fittings, valves, and pipe to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Cut concrete and set manholes, box culverts, chambers, etc. for different applications including live utility main overbuilds.
- Notify Foreman of any installation conflicts immediately.
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned by the Foreman.
- Minimum 5 – 7 years’ experience as either a pipe layer or skilled laborer in a utilities installation setting including extensive experience with the installation of storm, water, and sanitary main and services as well as the installation of Hydro, Telus, and Shaw.
- Possess a comprehensive understanding of tools and equipment required for the job.
- Be completely familiar with cutting/beveling pipe.
- Possess a strong understanding of safe excavations and WorkSafeBC guidelines for excavation requirements, and can work around excavation equipment and in tight areas safely.
- Know how to assemble and install shoring or trench cages in excavations as required.
- Have an understanding of the issues involving ground disturbance.
- Ability to thoroughly read, understand, and interpret civil construction plans and drawings.
- Ability to work under pressure in some situations.
- Must be willing to become a member of CLAC.
- Must be local and have a valid Class 5 driver’s license and a clean driver’s abstract.
- Responsible for operating a wide variety of equipment which may include: backhoe excavator, loader, bulldozer, front end loader, skid steer, trucks, compactor, and other pieces of equipment.
- Tasks may include: fine grading and finishing; landscaping; sloping and benching; backfilling; ditching; excavating; rough grading; stumping; sub-grade excavating; sub-grade rolling, and material handling.
- Review tasks with Foreman to ensure adequate approach and construction methods, and discuss any perceived problems in a constructive manner to arrive at a resolution.
- Clean, lubricate, and maintain equipment including, but not limited to, greasing, shoveling tracks, cleaning windows and cab interior.
- Complete daily paperwork including fuel reports, inspection reports, and time cards detailing machine hours as well as time worked, etc. as required.
- Conduct thorough safety and maintenance inspection when assigned to a new machine.
- Immediately report any mechanical defects, safety defects, and/or existing damage to Foreman.
- Ensure equipment is in safe working order and that safety tools are installed at all times.
- Secure appropriate special attachments to equipment including, but not limited to, safety wedges.
- Heavy Equipment Operator trade certification, valid driver’s license, and clean drivers abstract. Air brake endorsement and some college, vocational, or technical training an asset.
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience operating heavy equipment.
- Current safety tickets an asset.
- Must be well familiar with attachments including their use, maintenance, and safety requirements.
- Must be able to work well within a union environment and be willing to join CLAC.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, maps, drawings and specifications an asset.
- Physically fit and capable of performing daily job requirements.
- Excellent observation skills, a strong attention to detail, and good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Effective communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Must be local and have own transportation.