The Chief Financial Officer (CFO) is a key strategic member within the Executive team and will be responsible for adding direct value to the business through strategic planning and visioning from a financial perspective. The CFO will be responsible for leading the finance, accounting and cash management strategies and functions for the company and maintaining best practices in those areas.
The individual within this position must be able to oversee the Finance, Accounting, HR and I.T. departments, and have exceptional leadership, communication, and managerial skills. They will be a strategic thought leader, anticipating opportunities as well as risks.
- Leads the financing and cash management strategies and functions
- Appraises the financial position and provides strategic advice to senior management
- Short and long-range business plans, including projections of taxable income and recommended tax strategies
- Overall responsibility for short and long-range cashflow projections
- Negotiate loan and leasing agreements
- Responsible for bank covenant compliance
- Maintain effective working relationships with banking institutions
- Act as liaison between Directors and external auditors
- Overall responsibility for all process improvement projects related to finance, accounting and I.T.
- Overall responsibility for financial reporting, including year-end reporting and corporate compliance, as well as effective audit controls
- Responsible for annual corporate budgets
- Financial review of project specific budgets, cashflow and projection reporting
- Responsible for effective and efficient I.T. infrastructure, including aligning hardware and software strategies with the strategic plan
- Oversee strategic business intelligence reporting
- Oversee the human resource department and ensure alignment with strategic plan
- Responsible for Employee Policies and compliance with legislation, including the Employment Standards Act and Worksafe BC
- Input into negotiations with CLAC from a finance perspective
- Salaried staff compensation principals and annual reviews
- Input into Employee Benefits Plan reviews and negotiations (with Corporate CFO)
- Liaison with external Legal counsel for all employment or contract related issues
- Establish goals for the Finance, Accounting, HR, and IT Departments and implement each year
- Hires, trains, develops, and manages all direct reports in finance, accounting, and HR and sets standards for performance; assesses performance and provides feedback on a regular basis
- Responsible for corporate insurance including business, liability, property and equipment
- Liaison with internal Legal department for all contract related issues, including litigation/lawsuits
- Projects as assigned by the President, COO and Corporate CFO.
Education, Experience, and Competencies
As part of the Executive team, you will have demonstrated success in leading, developing and enhancing financial strategies. You will also possess a collaborative leadership style and have demonstrated the skills, the drive and the commitment to support employees in all areas and lead the team through change. The successful candidate must be a designated professional (CPA) with a minimum of 15 years post-qualification experience. Your professional history will include a proven track record of successfully managing a team with diverse experience, styles, and backgrounds. Knowledge and a demonstrated background in construction and/or development would be an asset.
As a member of the executive team, the CFO is responsible for ensuring that the organization maintains a viable financial position. Given the President will be relying on the technical skills and experience of the incumbent in this role, candidates must be able to demonstrate the following technical competencies:
- Business Acumen — Strategically direct the organization, broadly weighing internal and external perspectives
- Strategic thinking — Create and express the vision for change
- Leadership – Strong leadership skills to lead the team and organization
- Ethical Conduct – Demonstrates the highest level of ethical standards — Uphold a high standard of fairness and ethics in everyday words and actions
- Financial Management – Advanced understanding of financial concepts and processes
- Communication – Communicates strategically and efficiently both written and verbally
- Personal effectiveness – Demonstrate the commitment to establish effective job performance
- Time Management – Understand time management techniques to meet tight deadlines and promote effective use of time
- Thoroughness – Diligently attends to details and pursues quality in accomplishing tasks.
- Emotional Intelligence – strong emotional intelligence (EQ) and self awareness
This role will appeal to an individual who possesses outstanding communication skills and strong leadership capabilities while maintaining an excellent eye for detail. The successful candidate will be a pro-active, motivated, flexible, and team-orientated individual.
If you’re interested in this position, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com, including the name of the position you’re applying for on the subject line.