Core Protocols and COVID-19 Safety Plan – for the “New Normal”
To establish personal, social, workplace, and job-site protocols that must be followed as part of the Return to Work Plan during the time of a pandemic/epidemic outbreak.
This policy applies to all permanent employees and to contractors who have assigned workstations in the Conwest offices and/or work on Conwest Contracting jobsites, as specified herein.
PERSONAL PROTOCOLS FOR THE “NEW NORMAL”
- No handshaking as the new normal.
- Practice good hygiene; frequent hand washing, avoid touching one’s face; respiratory etiquette; disinfect surfaces throughout the day.
- Maintain reasonable physical distancing as much as possible, no lingering at the coffee station or in the Copy Room.
- If you have symptoms of illness you must stay at home until those symptoms have completely disappeared, no exceptions (refer to Revised Sick and Injury Leave Policy).
- For individuals at increased risk (over 60 years old or compromised immune systems), take extra precautions; use masks, stay home where possible.
- Use the hand sanitizers installed outside the office prior to entering the office.
- If you take transit, consider using masks and gloves while travelling.
SOCIAL INTERACTION PROTOCOLS FOR THE “NEW NORMAL”
- Ensure congregate social settings (kitchen) and common areas (bathrooms/hallways/ boardrooms) maintain physical distancing. Maximum occupant loads for each space are:
- Large Boardroom – no more than 7 people meeting
- Small Boardroom – no more than 4 people meeting
- Flex Space Supers Collaboration Area – no more than 4 people meeting
- Kitchen – no more than 6 people to use the kitchen/eating area at one time
- Shop Locker room – no more than 2 people gathering
- Maximum occupant load for entire office (including Flex Space) – 35 people
- Whenever possible do not have outside guests attend meetings in-person. Restrict number of outside guests attending a meeting to ensure physical distancing measures can be followed, and in keeping with the maximum occupant load for the entire office. Outside guests must pre-complete a Health Screening Declaration Form prior to admittance to the office.
- Restrict inside meetings to a maximum of 6 people where possible.
- Restrict outside trades to evenings or weekends.
- Keep outside lunches with others to a minimum and only in spaces where distancing measures can be followed.
- Buffet-style meals when offered will be served by a designated staff member wearing proper personal protective equipment, individually packaged meals per person preferred.
- Beer Fridays to be enjoyed in the main office only, no shared snacks.
WORKPLACE PROTOCOLS FOR THE “NEW NORMAL”
- You must adhere to the Conwest ‘Sick and Injury Leave’ policy when you have symptoms of a cold, flu, or COVID-19 and should NOT come into the workplace. Perform a self-assessment using the BC Self-Assessment COVID-19 tool, call 8-1-1, or report symptoms to COVID Clinic. Prepare to self-isolate for a minimum of 48 hours before getting tested.
- All workers are required to use touchless Purell dispensers located at the entrance when entering the office.
- Office-based employees who have underlying conditions, should work from home where possible to reduce “contact intensity” and “number of contacts” in the workplace.
- Workstations have been arranged to leave a minimum of 2 metres (6 feet) between each employee.
- Forego in-person meetings as much as possible; use technology for virtual meetings. Internal meetings will only occur in meeting rooms, no meetings to be held at desks.
- Ensure increased cleaning throughout the day. Receptionist will wipe down common equipment and door handles throughout the day. Staff to wipe down boardroom tables/chairs after each use. Janitorial staff have been instructed to deep clean the premises at every visit.
JOBSITE-SPECIFIC PROTOCOLS FOR THE “NEW NORMAL”
- All site employees and employees visiting Conwest jobsites must adhere to Conwest Contracting’s Safe Work Protocols.
- Wash hands at the site hand washing stations before entering the job site.
- Restrict number of staff in C-Can to a maximum of 2 people, keeping a distance of 2 metres (6 feet) at all times.
- Buffet-style meals are prohibited on site, individually packaged meals per person only.
- COVID-19 Safe Work Protocols must be posted on all Conwest jobsites and must be visible to both Conwest employees and visitors.
All employees and contractors are expected to comply with these protocols given the serious nature of a breach of the policy.
Conwest reserves the right to modify this and all policies, procedures, and protocols as required.
OUR RESPONSE TO COVID-19
On behalf of all of us at Conwest we hope you and your families are doing well through these uncertain times. Like many organizations we have taken the necessary measures to ensure our employees and many associated stakeholder groups are prepared and supported.
Everyone’s safety is paramount. We are taking an informed approach and working together to limit the spread of COVID-19 through social distancing and other measures outlined by our provincial governing bodies. We encourage everyone to do their part to limit the spread of the virus and help protect those at risk in our communities.
To ensure projects are moving forward we have implemented systems and technology to optimize all employees ability to work from home with all consultant teams and partners. Our team is fully engaged, committed and available via, phone, e-mail, and video conferencing. In addition our Kootenay and Pandora Street offices remain open with limited staffing levels primarily for pickups and deliveries. If you need access to the office for another reason please let your Conwest contact know before you come see us. As mentioned, most people are working remotely.
As always our construction sites have health and safety as a primary objective. We continue to operate and are following all provincial and WorkSafeBC mandates.
Our Conwest Contracting sites remain open to serve our valued clients. In addition, our Conwest Development sites remain open as well. All sites are strictly following the above-mentioned regulatory measures.
Recognizing this is a fluid situation, we are preparing for all contingencies and will continue to communicate as we all collectively move through this unprecedented time.
We wish you and your families lots of good health and support during these times.
The Conwest Team