Core Protocols and COVID-19 Safety Plan – for the “New Normal”
To establish personal, social, workplace, and job-site protocols that must be followed as part of the “Continue to Work” safely plan during the time of a pandemic/epidemic outbreak.
This policy applies to all permanent employees and to contractors who have assigned workstations in the Conwest offices and work on Conwest Contracting job sites, as specified herein.
PERSONAL PROTOCOLS FOR THE “NEW NORMAL”
- No handshaking as the new normal.
- Practice good hygiene; frequent hand washing, avoid touching one’s face; respiratory etiquette; disinfect surfaces throughout the day.
- Consider carrying a mask on your person at all times. Masks are encouraged to be worn in the office whenever you are not at your desk, and any time you cannot maintain distance or any of the protocols in this document cannot be met.
- Maintain reasonable physical distancing (minimum of 2 metres) as much as possible, no lingering at the coffee stations in the lunchroom or in the copy room. No meetings in the lunchroom until further notice.
- If you have symptoms of illness you must stay at home until those symptoms have completely disappeared, no exceptions (refer to Revised Sick and Injury Leave Policy). Please inform your manager and copy HR if you arrange to work from home. Prior manager approval is required for working from home.
- For individuals at increased risk (over 60 years old or compromised immune systems), take extra precautions; use masks, stay home where possible.
- Use the hand sanitizers installed outside the office prior to entering the office.
- If you take transit, remember that masks are now mandatory on transit, and consider wearing gloves while travelling.
- Masks are required in vehicles where two or more employees travel to job sites and meetings together.
- Keep your social circles small to respect your fellow co-workers.
- Immediately report to HR any contact you may have had with a COVID Exposure and follow the Revised Sick and Injury Leave Policy.
SOCIAL INTERACTION PROTOCOLS FOR THE “NEW NORMAL”
- Ensure congregate social settings (kitchen) and common areas (bathrooms/hallways/ boardrooms) maintain physical distancing. Maximum occupant loads for each space are:
- Large Boardroom – no more than 7 people meeting
- Small Boardroom – no more than 4 people meeting
- Kitchen – no more than 6 people to use the kitchen/eating area at one time. No lingering or chatting while other people are waiting to use the kitchen facilities.
- Shop – no more than 6 people at any given time.
- Shop Locker room – no more than 1 person
- The maximum occupant load for entire office (including Flex Space) is 35 people
Note, the occupancy limits are posted on the rooms and available on our website.
- Whenever possible, do not have outside guests attend meetings in-person. It is mandator to wear a mask when meeting with outside guests. Restrict number of outside guests attending a meeting to ensure physical distancing measures can be followed and keep with the maximum occupant load for the entire office.
- Outside guests and visitors must pre-complete a clearance form prior to admittance to the office and wear a mask at all times while on the office premises.
- Restrict inside meetings to a maximum of 6 people where possible.
- Restrict outside trades to evenings or weekends.
- Keep outside lunches with others to a minimum and only in spaces where distancing measures can be followed. Client lunches are limited to a maximum of 6 people.
- No staff lunches or events in the office and no attendance to outside events* for the immediate future.
- Beer Fridays will be on hold until further notice.
*Outside events include invites from clients to join parties and celebrations
- Outside guests must pre-complete a Health Screening Declaration Form prior to admittance to the office.
WORKPLACE PROTOCOLS FOR THE “NEW NORMAL”
- You must adhere to the Conwest ‘Sick and Injury Leave’ policy when you have symptoms of a cold, flu, or COVID-19 and should NOT come into the workplace. Perform a self-assessment using the BC Self-Assessment COVID-19 tool, call 811, or report symptoms to COVID Clinic. Prepare to self-isolate for a minimum of 48 hours before getting tested.
- All workers are required to use touchless Purell dispensers located at the entrance when entering the office.
- Office-based employees who have underlying conditions, should work from home where possible, with manager approval, to reduce “contact intensity” and “number of contacts” in the workplace.
- Workstations have been arranged to leave a minimum of 2 metres (6 feet) between each employee.
- Forego in-person meetings as much as possible; use technology for virtual meetings. Internal meetings will only occur in meeting rooms, no meetings to be held at desks. Should the need to do this occur, please wear a mask and maintain the necessary physical distancing.
- Ensure increased cleaning throughout the day. The receptionist will wipe down common equipment and door handles throughout the day. Staff to wipe down boardroom tables/chairs after each use. Janitorial staff have been instructed to deep clean the premises at every visit.
- Ensure your desk area is clear of any paper or equipment on the afternoons when the Covid-19 cleaning is scheduled. Refusing to have ANY part of the office cleaned is NOT an option.
- Follow signage for proper use of the elevators – only 2 people at a time.
JOBSITE-SPECIFIC PROTOCOLS FOR THE “NEW NORMAL”
- All site employees and employees visiting Conwest jobsites must adhere to Conwest Contracting’s Safe Work Protocols
- Wash hands at the site hand washing stations before entering the job site.
- Restrict number of staff in C-Can to a maximum of 2 people, keeping a minimum distance of 2 metres (6 feet) at all times.
- Buffet-style meals are prohibited on-site, individually packaged meals per person only.
- COVID-19 Safe Work Protocols must be posted on all Conwest jobsites and must be visible to both Conwest employees and visitors.
All employees and contractors are expected to comply with these protocols, given the serious nature of a breach of the policy.
Conwest reserves the right to modify this and all policies, procedures, and protocols as required.
OUR RESPONSE TO COVID-19
On behalf of all of us at Conwest we hope you and your families are doing well through these uncertain times. Like many organizations we have taken the necessary measures to ensure our employees and many associated stakeholder groups are prepared and supported.
Everyone’s safety is paramount. We are taking an informed approach and working together to limit the spread of COVID-19 through social distancing and other measures outlined by our provincial governing bodies. We encourage everyone to do their part to limit the spread of the virus and help protect those at risk in our communities.
To ensure projects are moving forward we have implemented systems and technology to optimize all employees ability to work from home with all consultant teams and partners. Our team is fully engaged, committed and available via, phone, e-mail, and video conferencing. In addition our Kootenay and Pandora Street offices remain open with limited staffing levels primarily for pickups and deliveries. If you need access to the office for another reason please let your Conwest contact know before you come see us. As mentioned, most people are working remotely.
As always our construction sites have health and safety as a primary objective. We continue to operate and are following all provincial and WorkSafeBC mandates.
Our Conwest Contracting sites remain open to serve our valued clients. In addition, our Conwest Development sites remain open as well. All sites are strictly following the above-mentioned regulatory measures.
Recognizing this is a fluid situation, we are preparing for all contingencies and will continue to communicate as we all collectively move through this unprecedented time.
We wish you and your families lots of good health and support during these times.
The Conwest Team